As I worked my way through the photographs, my emotions shifted a lot. At first I was happy to see the happiness that radiated off of the couple, but then it sort of disappeared and was replaced with a melancholy feeling. I became a little emotionally affected by the time I saw the last photos.
"These photographs do not define us, but they are us."
I find this quote paired with the photographs very powerful. I think that what the is saying is that the photographs don't define them as anything- him and his wife won't always be happy, they won't always be sad, they won't always be going through a battle with cancer… but that was them at a time. Life happens and time passes and photographs are only a still of that. These photos are them, though. These photos are a part of them that will always be, even if the wife did die.
If I were in a situation like this, I'm not completely sure if I could take photographs like this. Sometimes I try and take photos that capture emotion but when the photo is developed the image is flat and boring. On the other hand, I love taking b&w photographs because I feel that there is nothing to take away from the feelings in the photo. In conclusion, I may or may not be able to take photos like this.
If I could write Angelo a letter I would thank him for taking these photographs at such a terribly tragic time in his life. He inspired me, made me realize that I love black and white photography and that I want to do this for the rest of my life. Life is short and beautiful and tragic and Angelo opened my eyes to see that.
No comments:
Post a Comment